Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yom HaShoah

What I learned about the Holocaust growing up was very minimal information.  Then, our 10th grade World History teacher, bless him, showed our class a video about the events of the Holocaust, with graphic details.  I remember thinking, "That happened in THIS century????"  I had previously thought that it had taken place in the ancient past.  Not that it changed how horrible it was.  It was just that I was baffled that something so horrific could happen in our modern society.  It goes to show that some things never change.  Anti-Semitism is one of them.
Anti-Semitism, just like all forms of hatred, can be overt or subtle.  While the Holocaust is just one example from history of the overt kind, the subtle variety exists all over.  Even saying the "Old" Testament is akin to saying, "Wow, your clothes are outdated!"  This kind of thing may not be apparent to many people.  It certainly wasn't to me for too many years of my life.  But now I want to be educated in sensitivity, so that I can show love to the very people who are our physical link to Messiah himself.  I want to learn what it means to be Jewish, because it is through this exercise that I can more closely connect with my beloved Yeshua (Jesus).
Am Yisrael Chai!!
(Long live the people of Israel!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment